SHOCKING VIDEO: “Demons Tremble Before TB Joshua!”

A shocking video clip released on T.B. Joshua’s ‘Emmanuel TV’ YouTube channel purporting to show hordes of demon-possessed attendees in his church receiving ‘deliverance’ has evoked controversy.

 The clip, which was released almost simultaneously on the cleric’s popular YouTube and Facebook accounts, shows Joshua moving amidst congregants during his church service at The Synagogue, Church Of All Nations (SCOAN) on Sunday 26th March 2017.

The reaction is uncanny as multiple people begin to fall, quiver and scream even without physically being prayed for by the controversial cleric.

 “Demons spontaneously shriek as the anointing sweeps throughout the auditorium and freedom kicks bondage out perpetually, coupled with instant healing for the sick and afflicted,” reads part of the clip’s description on YouTube which runs for over twenty minutes.

Amidst the eerie cries of the possessed, several individuals with difficulties in walking and breathing claimed to receive healing at the touch of the pastor, including a Mexican man who travelled to Nigeria from USA to receive prayer.

 Reactions to the video, which was released yesterday to YouTube, ranged from downright disbelief to the suggestion the ‘show’ was arranged for comedic purposes.

“This is crazy,” wrote a user named Sharkfinz6. “What did he say to bring all these people out?”

Another viewer named ‘teeonezee’ surmised, “All kinds of crazy shit is happening in this video… This channel makes such great comedy.”

“Why is this guy hitting everyone,” whimsically queried Wasila Annie. “He may hurt the audience by hitting their heads.”

However, Joshua’s supporters were similarly out in their droves to support the clip titled ‘Raw Anointing That Makes Demons GO WILD!’

“We need this anointing in Germany,” wrote Bernardo Schmitt, owner of a German Christian website.

Antonia Pasioudi from Greece contributed, “Thank You Lord for Your prophet!”

“Wow! Under the influence of the Holy Spirit, demons tremble before T.B. Joshua,” commented Rozely Lindim, an Asian fan of Joshua.

This is not the first video on Joshua’s YouTube channel, which recently surpassed 500,000 subscribers, to cause controversy.

A clip allegedly showing an encounter between Joshua and a self-professed servant of ‘Lucifer’ went viral last year, amassing over 2 million views.

Another clip showing Joshua helping the victim of a vicious armed robbery attack also surpassed one million views this week.

Read more

“There is no longer going to be impunity” – Saunders on UN rape crisis

For decades, United Nations (UN) peacekeepers accused of sexual exploitation and abuse have operated under an umbrella of impunity.

Last week, Christian Saunders, the UN director of the Office of the Under-Secretary-General for Management, told Al Jazeera’s The Stream that this was about to change.

“There is no longer going to be impunity,” he said, adding that UN Secretary-General Antonio Gutteres is going to work with member states to ensure abusers are “held criminally responsible” for sexual abuse.

He highlighted that Gutteres had committed to “zero tolerance” and the creation of a “high-level task force.”

“This was almost the first thing he did taking office,” said Saunders.

Saunders outlined the new four-part UN strategy, which revolves around a victim-centric approach, with victim’s rights advocates in all the major peacekeeping operations; an end to impunity; increased transparency; and an awareness of the broader context of sexual abuse as a danger for women all over the world.

Saunders also highlighted what Gutteres didn’t do: “He didn’t wait for a crisis in order to act.”

Of course, that depends on how you define a crisis.

“Since 1948, the UN has been raping third world women,” said Ezili Dantò, the founder of the Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network.

Al Jazeera’s recent Faultlines documentary, Haiti By Force: UN Sex Abuse, spotlighted one current example. Femi Oke, who presents both Faultlines and The Stream, spoke to Haitian women who say they were raped by UN peacekeepers there. Some of them were under-age at the time; some of them are now single mothers as a result; most described anonymous, violent attacks they didn’t report to the authorities.

The United Nations cites 85 allegations of sex abuse in Haiti between 2008 and 2015, but independent estimates suggest the figure should be much higher, at more than 500 women raped or exploited by UN personnel since 2005.

Haiti isn’t an anomaly. There are reports of abuse by UN workers in several other countries, including the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan. Africa hosts nine of the 16 UN peacekeeping missions currently active.

On The Stream, Megan Nobert, founder and executive director of Report The Abuse, pointed out that sexual abuse by UN personnel is not just happening to the local population, but against the humanitarian community itself.

Impunity is enjoyed by those who commit these crimes because international laws are interpreted to grant peacekeepers immunity from any criminal liability in the countries they serve.

Former UN investigator Peter Gallo calls this a “fiction.” “There is no immunity under the 1946 Convention on Privileges and Immunities for sexual offences; the UN has maintained the fiction that there is to not allow these cases to get in front of the Haiti courts.”

Dantò agrees. “The law doesn’t actually give impunity. It gives immunity to the UN for the purposes of the mission.  Raping a four-year-old child in return for food is not part of the mission of the UN in Haiti or anywhere else, so they don’t have any immunity… So this whole conversation about the UN having immunity and not being able to do anything about the perpetrators is false.”

Gallo says the UN have even stretched this Convention to stop UN staff members testifying as witnesses in sexual abuses cases, even when the UN is not accused of any wrongdoing. Citing a case in the Central African Republican against French peacekeepers, he said, “This is the equivalent situation: can you imagine someone who works for the UN, goes out for a sandwich at lunchtime in New York, and witnesses a crime, a mugging. And the UN prevents them from giving a statement to the New York police ‘because I’m a UN staff member and I’m somehow magically protected that I’m above the law.’ Not because a UN staff member committed a crime but because a UN staff member was involved in the loop of reporting it. That is a complete and utter abuse of the 1946 convention.”

Dantò dismissed the UN’s new policy and promises. “It’s an absolute joke,” she said. “The UN has been saying this since 1948: zero tolerance.” She added that in practice this only resulted in nine-day suspensions for impregnating a minor, when any action was taken at all.

She labelled Saunders’ statements as ““mythological,” variously calling the UN “an imperial force,” “a colonial screen,” a “criminal organization,” an “abomination” and “an institution that is above the law.”

She called on US President Donald Trump to not fund the UN mission in Haiti. “Haitian women want the UN out of Haiti,” she said.

In February, the UN announced the number of reported cases worldwide has risen since 2015, something they attribute to their efforts to encourage victims to come forward.

Read more

FG alerts Nigerians to ISIS’ new recruitment strategy

The Federal Government on Monday in Abuja, urged parents and guardians to monitor the activities of their children and wards in order to prevent them from being recruited by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

It said that the terrorist organisation was now targeting vulnerable individuals, including foreign students, using financial inducements to recruit them into the terrorist organisation.

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who stated this in a statement in Abuja, cited the recent recruitment into ISIS of 27 medical students of the University of Medical Sciences and Technology in Sudan as an example of the new strategy being used by the organisation to recruit more members.

The minister, quoting a report which he said was received by the Nigerian Intelligence Community, said “22 of the 27 students, who travelled to Syria to join ISIS, are Britons.”

He said further, “According to the report, the students were recruited by one Mohammed Fakhri Al-khabbas, a former UMST student from Middlesborough, United Kingdom.

“Many of the students are children of reputable doctors in the UK. Their Social Media accounts also revealed them as praising Jihadists and championing ISIS’ cause.”

Mohammed, therefore, appealed to Nigerians, especially those who have children and wards in foreign academic institutions, to pay more attention to their activities, while urging schools across the country to enlighten their students on the new ISIS’ recruitment strategy.

Read more

Osaze Odemwingie Joins Indonesian Club

Indonesian first division club Madura United FC have officially announced the signing of Nigerian forward Osaze Odemwingie as a marquee player for the 2017 League 1 season.

The details of the deal were however not disclosed.

In an unveiling ceremony in Jakarta on Monday, the President of the club Achsanul Qosasi and the club manager Haruna Sumitro presented the former Nigerian international to the club fans ahead of their league opener.

The 35-year-old previously featured for Cardiff City, Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion FC was quoted on an Indonesian website beritajatim.com saying: “Taretan, see you in Madura.”

The club also confirmed the arrival of the former Nigerian international via their Twitter handle @MaduraUnitedFC, writing “Welcome Peter Osaze Odemwingie!” and posting a photograph of a club shirt with Odemwingie’s name on it.

Read more

13 UNILAG students: NANS threatens to invade Kirikiri prisons

The National Association of Nigerian Students has handed down a 24-hour ultimatum within which a Special Offences Mobile Court in Lagos should release 13 students of the University of Lagos currently being detained at the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons.

The organisation threatened to relocate its Headquarters to the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons in solidarity with its members, should government continued to keep them in captivity.

 It was reported that the Mobile Court had on Saturday remanded the 13 UNILAG students in Kirikiri Prisons, pending their bail application.

They accused persons, standing trial before Chief Magistrate P.E Nwaka, were alleged to have engaged in an unlawful invasion of Television Continental in Lagos.

They were arraigned on a two-count of unlawful invasion and disruption of activities and have all pleaded ‘not guilty’ to the two-count.

The accused are Femi Adeyeye, Toni Aina, Kodri Yaya, Asimi Oladime, Ismahim Olalekan, Segun Okesola, Abdulazeez Soneye, Idris Abogunloko, and Muyiwa Olaniyi.

Others are Toheed Oladimeji, Joseph Akanni, Lukumon Olusegun, and Abiodun Agbeniyi.

The magistrate, who ordered that the accused be remanded in prison, adjourned the case till April 6 for a determination of their bail.

But the President of NANS, Chinonso Obasi, on Monday in Abuja, condemned the action of the court which remanded the students in Kirikiri prisons.

He said, “After a painstaking review of the circumstances surrounding the draconian ruling, we have resolved to demand and hereby demand the unconditional release of these students within 24 hours.

“Consequently, we make bold to state that if at the expiration of our 24 hours ultimatum, these innocent students are not released without strings, we shall relocate the Headquarters of NANS to Kirikiri in solidarity with our members.

“We also hope that the authorities would use the opportunity of the 24 hours ultimatum to either expand the facilities of Kirikiri prison or release our colleagues, as they can see we are serious and determined by offering them a fair choice.”

Obasi said if the best the Magistrate could do in the prevailing circumstances was to clamp University students to a prison facility and thereby unwittingly radicalise them, NANS shall help him to understand the implications of his unbalanced judgement that does not tally with the offence allegedly committed.

He said, “Being first-time offenders, the Magistrate, if ever he was once a University student, would have handed down a stern warning and demand of good behaviour instead of sending them to prison for whatever reasons.

“In saner climes what the Magistrate should have done was to certify that the suspects are bonafide students and release them to their school authorities or student leaders. But rather than factor in the extenuating circumstances of their protest, the Magistrate apparently in a hurry to please some hidden forces, decided to blunt the proper socialisation of 13 Nigerian leaders of tomorrow.”

Read more